It’s Drill Time!
The Hub at Phinney Center (N 67th St. & Phinney Ave. N) will start setting up at 9:00 AM on Saturday, June 11. Join your fellow disaster nerds for fun and practice as we figure out how to respond to the Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake – “the greatest natural disaster in the history of the United States!”
Our Mission for the Drill
The mission of a Hub (and of the new “Neighborhood Net”) is to collect and distribute information, and that’s what we will do during the drill, from 10:00-11:30 AM.
Objective #1: Collect information from every person that we contact during the drill:
- Name (at least first name)
- Home Location (address or cross-streets, for the Situation Map)
- Readiness Rating (self-described, from 1-5):
- 5 – Complete self-sufficiency for 3 weeks
- 4 – Prepared for 7-10 days at home; 3 days at work & school
- 3 – Water stored, many other preparedness measures in place
- 2 – A little bit prepared; more to be done
- 1 – Aware of the need; seeking more information.
- Optional: Volunteer contact information, if they want to be further involved.
Objective #2: Distribute preparedness information. (Materials will be provided.)
Objective #3: Set up and evaluate the Hub at Phinney Center. Create two lists:
- Shopping List: What materials and equipment are missing and must be obtained?
- To Do List: What procedures and plans are inadequate and must be improved?
Objective #4: Participate in the “Neighborhood Net” (walkie-talkies) and Seattle ACS Ham radio sector system. If you have a walkie-talkie, tune to Channel 7, Privacy Code 12. If you are a Ham operator, join the Communications Unit at the Hub and trade messages with the ACS sector.
Objective #5: Meet cool people; have great fun!
See you Saturday, June 11, at 9:00 AM!
On Saturday, June 11 at 10:00 AM, we will activate for a Neighborhood Earthquake Drill in north Seattle. The city government is not activating for this drill: we are on our own, as we would be in an actual event. (The city will be active in the four days prior to our drill, as part of the “Cascadia Rising” national-level exercise.)
The drill will run 10:00-11:30 AM, with some preparations starting at 9:00 AM. Shut-down will begin at 11:30 AM.
Instructions for the Drill
- All else failing, please visit the Hub at Phinney Center (N 67th St. & Phinney Ave. N) between 10:00-11:30 AM. We will have information about Household and Block preparedness, and we’ll be practicing information-handling procedures. If you’d like to help set up and participate, please come at 9:00 AM.
- If you have a walkie-talkie, tune to Channel 7, Privacy Code 12, starting at 10:00 AM. The “Neighborhood Net” will be on the air, spreading information through the neighborhood.
- On your Block (or in your building), if you are organized, meet at your Block meeting place at 10:00 AM. Divide into teams of two or more, and visit every home on your block. Distribute preparedness literature, map the location of gas meters, and update contact information for your Block Roster.
More instructions will be issued before the drill begins.